Thursday, October 27, 2011

the bionic bus.

Don't get me wrong, I value the bionic bus, crutching is physically exhausting and the sides of my ribs could use the break from the constant rubbing.  But that doesn't make this bus any less hilarious and humiliating.  The short bus of the college years, I'm sure you remember the small yellow bus that came around your neighborhood to pick up special needs students, this is a similar looking vehicle.  It stops to pick me up pretty much anywhere I ask it to, and as it stops it sends out a booming beep. BEEP BEEP BEEP, like a truck backing up.  If people didn't notice the girl hopping around on crutches before they sure do now.  I try to think of it as my own private driver.  Maybe a little less elegant, not quite as classy, but the same idea,  it's there for me and is (almost) always private.

Today, after I was picked up we went the opposite way of class and I realized we must be picking up another passenger.  We waited in front of the cozy looking house on the outskirts of Iowa City until an elder woman with a cane came out gleaming, really ceasing the day.  She complimented the bus drivers braid, they were clearly well acquainted, and took a seat beside me. Her place on campus was one of a librarian.  She began chatting with me freely and before I knew it we were halfway into a tear jerking story about a shooting that took place on campus in the early 90's.  She poured this story onto me so quickly I didn't even have time to change my face to my 'sympathetic' look. It was a real day starter, a great pick me up.

We then compared injuries, her ability to use one cane and my need to use a set of crutches.  She broke her foot years ago and was never put into a cast, hence the current cane.  I was immediately grateful for medical advances.  Then I pitied myself again, thinking, here I am again, relating myself to seniors.  Just the other day an elderly woman was admiring my KneeWalker, my scooter that takes me further distances less painfully while supporting my foot.

One minute I'm a super athlete, relating to runners weekly and Paula Radcliffe, the next I'm up to date with every show on the food network and comparing walkers. Oh how life changes so quickly.

No comments:

Post a Comment